After working through last weekend, I really missed the feeling of waking up on a saturday morning after a long week and being able to slowly move through my day, it was definitely hard to work 2 weeks straight. I always love the weekends because I get to cook and eat good meals, read, be creative and sleep in until my body wakes me. This morning I woke up to rain and under most circumstances I wouldn’t be too pleased, but since I’m fighting a cold, this weather is perfect for the mood I am in, and I am excited to enjoy it from the comfort of my own home! To start this weekend off in a healthy, hearty way I decided to make oatmeal for breakfast, with a fall twist.
I love oatmeal because it fills you up in a healthy way but it’s time consuming when you want to use steel cut oats. It’s definitely not my go to weekday morning breakfast (unless I have a pre-made batch to reheat) but it’s great for a lazy saturday morning!
I haven’t had the opportunity to go apple picking yet (I’m hoping I can do that next weekend) but my parents did and brought me back a large bag of delicious crunchy apples, so I threw them in to the oatmeal to add a little something. I also tossed in some dried cherries and of course brown sugar for some added sweetness!
Apple cherry Oatmeal for 2:
1/2 cup of steel cut oats
1 1/2 cups of water
1 apple of your choice, peeled and cut into chunks
1 Tbsp of brown sugar
pinch of salt
1. Put the water in a pot with the apples and a pinch of salt and bring to a rolling boil. This gives the apples enough time to soften up.
2. Once the water begins to boil, Add the oats and let it boil for 5-8min or until it starts to thicken up. Be sure to stir it every so often to make sure the oats do not stick to the bottom.
3. Turn the heat down to a low simmer and cook the oats for 30-35 minutes.
4. Add the brown sugar and dried cherries and stir.
5. Allow the oats to cool, add milk and enjoy!