I have been off work now for a couple of days over the holidays and I have thoroughly enjoyed staying home cooking and baking, working on my sewing skills, spending time with my cutie pup and my main squeeze and snapping photos. Since baking happens to be one of the most relaxing past times for me (minus the huge mess I have to clean up when all is said and done) I had to try something new over the break. Seeing as I have a rather large obsession with the delicious molasses cookies at Starbucks (Seriously I get them whenever I have the chance) I decided it was time to make my own. I found a great recipe here and got baking!
This recipe makes about 36 cookies and takes about 25 minutes to prepare and then about an hour and a half to bake. They were a lot easier to make then I expected and they turned out amazing. Soft, chewy and sweet with a sugary finish. They are kind of dangerous (we have already devoured the majority of them).
Here is what you need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
Here’s what you have to do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl; flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Then set aside 1/2 cup sugar in a shallow bowl for the final step.
- With an electric mixer, beat the wet ingredients together; The butter and remaining 1 1/2 cups of sugar until combined. Then beat in the egg followed by the molasses until it is all well combined. Then reduce the speed to low and gradually mix in your dry ingredients, just until a dough forms.
- Take out about 1 tbsp of dough and roll into uniform balls. Then roll them in the reserved sugar to coat.
- Place the sugar coated balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, making sure that they are all about 3 inches apart. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time, until edges of cookies are just firm about 10 minutes. You can bake two cookie sheets at a time but they may not crackle uniformly.
- Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; transfer to racks to cool completely (or enjoy the hot chewy cookies straight out of the oven.
** These can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days!
I think I will be making these on a regular basis, I just can’t get enough of their sweet, spiced, holiday flavour!