Do you ever have those nights when you come home, and the last thing you want to think about is dinner? I had one of those the other day, and instead of caving and pulling out a box of cereal (like I usually do) I remembered reading a post called “Spinach and Smashed Egg Toast” on Smitten Kitchen, and it dawned on me… this may take me an extra 5 minutes, but it looks so worth it, and let’s face it, it’s way more balanced than a bowl of cereal. I didn’t have spinach in the fridge, but I did have arugala, and so it began, my new favorite quick and easy dinner.
Basically anything goes for this recipe. Whatever you have in your fridge can be added in. I had arugala, fresh garlic, cherry tomatoes and some crushed hot peppers, but I can imagine so many other delicious ingredients being thrown in such as asparagus and black olives (yum).
2 large eggs
2 slices of your favorite hearty bread
1 cup or more of arugala
2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 clove of garlic roughly chopped
4 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of your favorite Dijon mustard
1. Fill a small pot with water and bring to a boil, add eggs in and cook for 5 minutes (this will achieve the liquidy consistency of the yolk).
2. Meanwhile, in a frying pan, add some olive oil and the hot pepper flakes and let it heat up on medium high heat.
3. Chop up the garlic and add to the oil stirring constantly, letting it brown (careful to not let it burn).
3. Slice 4 cherry tomatoes in half and add to the pan gently (you don’t want them to break up)
4. finally add about a cup of arugala and let it cook down, stirring gently.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste
5. Toast some bread (I love rye bread for this recipe)
6. Peel your eggs
7. Smother some of your favorite dijon on the toast, add the cooked mixture, smash the cooked egg gently on top, allowing the yellow yoke to drip all over and Enjoy!
Sometimes its the simple things in life that are the best!